House Extension, Stockport, Cheshire
A contemporary extension to a 1930’s suburban detached house blessed with a spacious south-facing garden. The design replaces three unsatisfactory bays with a modern "Loggia" stretched across the rear of the house, including extended living accommodation, a ground floor toilet and improved garden access.
Large windows maximise natural light to the interior and visually connect the garden to the house. The basic cubic form of the original red brick house is revealed by the contrasting materiality of the extension which itself therefore reads as a pavilion in the garden. Design 2005.